Re: [Spridgets] I Lost my ability to steer

To: Frank <spritenut@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] I Lost my ability to steer
From: WFO Herb <froggi60@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 19:38:18 -0700
In addition,...IF... the pinch-bolt has been loose for a (long) period of
time, the splines will be 'rounded' (severely worn).
Herb
Grants Pass, Oregon

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Frank <spritenut@comcast.net> wrote:

> Peter Caldwell wrote:
>
>> Pants-filling feeling, isn't it?
>>
>> I had it happen to me, but it was the pinch bolt at the lower end of the
>> column to the rack's pinion. The bolt fits in a groove in the pinion shaft.
>> The bolt pinches the split column tube with its splines onto the pinion
>> shaft which is also splined. The pinch bolt had worn enough that  it allowed
>> the column to pull out.
>>
>> Check those bolts! Better yet, replace them with a hardened bolt.
>>
>>  What Peter said!
> Check that bolt at every oil change or twice a year.
> And I mean check it. Not just look at it, put a wrench on it (7/16) make
> sure it's tight.
> Pull it out once a year and look at it.
> I know of a few Spridgets where this bolt came loose, it hits the frame and
> the car does not steer.
>

> --
> Frank Clarici
> Toms River, NJ
> My own Fleet of Sprites

Here is an Important Message for anyone who receives this email:  If you
forward this correspondence, PLEASE DELETE THE FORWARDING HISTORY, which
includes my email address!  It is a courtesy to me and others who may not
wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world!  Erasing the
history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses and viruses from being
propagated!  IT ALSO PROTECTS YOU.