Re: [Spridgets] Sprite History Information Needed

To: <spencerfamily1@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Sprite History Information Needed
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 22:22:36 -0700
Hi Dave,

The info you provide suggests to me you have a car assembled from
many cars; I will elaborate on my speculation and give you a clue for
further verification.

#H-AN6-L/19774 would indeed be a car made in late March/Early April
1962, but engine #9C-U-H/37910 seems to be from a HAN5 (Bugeye)
Sprite (April 1960). Is the Body #ABL/037448 located on the right
hand door post? Please clarify.

The BMIHT Certificate numbers make sense for an HAN6 car. 9CG prefix
began in Feb '61 (9CG-101) and 9CG-da-H/29667 would be around April
'62, so it correlates to the timeline of you chassis number. By
October '62, the 10CG engine was introduced. Body number sequence is
usually  relatively close in number, so # ABL/16155 makes more sense
than the high number actually on the car.

Now, here's a couple things you can check that might shed some light.
There is are two "secret location" where the chassis number was
stamped into steel panels on later Spridgets. I don't remember what
year they started the process, but I think by HAN7, this was done. If
you indeed have an HAN7 I think you will find at least one of these
locations have the number. It's worth a look anyway.

One is one the plate where the right hand shock mounts. If the car is
dirty in that area (most likely) or has heavy coat of paint, it will
be difficult to find/see. If I remember correctly, it is on the rear
side near the edge where the steel plate curves upward. It may be
hard to see with the shock in place also. The second place to look is
the right hand floorboard, and inch or two forward of the side-to-
side frame cross member. It will be right in the center from left to
right. If there is much rust there, if may be hard to see. Generally,
it was not covered by any insulation originally, but who knows what
has been done in previous hands.

Additionally, chassis number were recorded in crayon in several
places, but by now they have usually been either painted over or gone
with years of aging. Once is under the matt on the jump seat, the
other is on the back of the dashboard.

Check those places for clues and let me know if you find anything
that helps.

Gerard