Re: [Spridgets] Tow vehicle shopping a bit

To: spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Tow vehicle shopping a bit
From: brian S <bugeye15@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:13:07 -0400
hey Ron,

My tow vehicle observations/options for ya.
I have a 2003 Explorer EB 4x4 with the 4.6 v8, 5 spd auto. 7 passenger.
leather, heated seats, moonroof 6 cd player, DVD player with headrest
monitors,
 backup sensor but not camera.
20+ mpg highway when not towing. (22+ drafting or doing speed limit :-))
rides nice, handles pretty good for an SUV. 66K miles.
Tows my Bugeye on an open trailer very nicely,  17+ mpg towing Bugeye on open
trailer, hardly notices it.
Drove John Sprinzel to the airport from Sprite Spree 03 to Newark airport
towing a Midget,
and he remarked how nicely it rode, handled and towed. He was surprised.
Have had it for 6+ years, no problems with it, doesn't burn any oil at all
between changes.
Doesn't have the tow pkg, just the 1.5 inch hitch receiver and 4 pin plug, but
that is fine for me.
Like it alot, but wanted more room behind the 3rd seat when going on trips
with the family.
It's BRG , I mean dark green/gold metallic paint and tan leather. :-)

Which led us to get a 2008 Chrysler Aspen earlier this year. (think fancy
Dodge Durango).
Didn't trade the Explorer when we got it as they didn't want to give us squat
for it, so we kept it.
We got the Aspen over the other large SUVs mostly cause they were discounting
them so much.
Saved over $12000 over getting a comparable Expedition or the new GM
Acadia/Outlook/Traverse triplets,
as they were closing em out and the bankruptcy last winter. No room behind the
3rd seat in the Tahoe/Yukon,
and wife didn't want to drive a land yacht Burban.
Loaded to the gunwhales, HEMI/4 spd auto, 4x4, tow pkg, moonroof, NAV and rear
DVD player,
 40 gig HD for downloaded DVD's/CD's/Mp3's,  heated leather front seats,
backup camera,
110 outlet inside, cupholders all over, wood trim, 20 in rims, rear a/c, 8
passenger etc......
Light sand metallic paint w two tone tan leather.
18+ mpg w/o trailer, 16 towing. Rides very nicely. Didn't like the handling
compared to the Explorer,
rolls more, stock shocks seemed to have very little rebound damping from the
factory.
Sooo, I put poly swaybar bushings on it and a set of Bilstein shocks on it.
Big difference. much more stable. Still rolls more than the Explorer and the
steering feel isn't
nearly as good, but rides very nice and is a good comfortable long hauler.
Alot more room in it
for 3 kids and there stuff for trips than the Explorer.. Great power from the
HEMI, though
sometimes I wish I would have gotten the 4.7 v8 instead, as it had 300 HP
instead of 350,
but is flex fuel capable and E85 is about 80 cents a gallon cheaper than
regular unleaded.
12K miles and no problems so far. knock wood....
Interested in either, gimme a holler, but unfortunately wouldn't be able to
deliver either this weekend
as I'm going camping with my son. Unless someone from around LI would like to
drive one out to you. :-)

Brian S.
Bugeyeracer finally resto'ed!

> Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 21:36:16 -0700
> From: soavero@yahoo.com
> To: spridgets@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Spridgets] Tow vehicle shopping a bit
>
> Wow, some are really good (the F-150 active sway control? You gotta be
shpittin' me!). But I think I want a big honking SUV for a tow vehicle.
something with senseless amounts of leather and backup cameras and heated
everything and endless features that will all fail in 3 years like Porasik's
Suburban. If anyone out there has a 2006+ Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon or Expedition
to sell, I'm interested. 'specially in the newer ones that get 20MPG highway.
I will include a 1978 Alfa Spider in trade towards the total if you like. Your
location is not terribly important. Oh, and make it by this weekend so I can
tow the car to Blackhawk!!!!!!!!!

> Ron
> Roscoe IL

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsofts powerful SPAM protection.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/