Re: [Spridgets] New to Bugeyes

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] New to Bugeyes
From: "JLC" <breton48@live.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:36:32 -0700
Skip,

Enjoy your Spridget, they are a lot of fun!

You don't say in which state you are, but the authorities should know modern
VIN numbers started in 1975.  I bet they won't have a clue what your VIN
number should look like. Make sure they pick the chassis number -
AN5-L/37190.  When my Bugeye was first registered in CA, the DMV took the
engine number, not the chassis number, for the title. I have no idea why
they did that.

Do check to see if they copy the number correctly - when I tried to register
a 1975 Bricklin in Colorado, the CO DMV refused to do so as they noticed the
CA DMV dropped the last number in the VIN number when issuing the original
title. It took many phone calls, a couple of letters and much documentation
to get the CA DMV to correct the error the CA employee made back in 1975! It
also took over three months for the DMV to issue the new title.

I had no problem with the inspection for registering my 1970 Lotus 7 in
Colorado, even though the VIN number is scratched onto the plate in a very
non-professional manner, a common thing for the 7.

A British Heritage Certificate is available for your Bugeye, and will give
you much info about the built of your car, dates of manufacture, shipping,
etc. If you decide to get one, the price for the certificate is 39 Pounds
Sterling.  See here:

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/shop/heritage-certificate/index.html

JLC

Skip J. wrote:
I bet a Bugeye for my 65th birthday.  Had an MGA and MG Midget years ago.
Is
Chassis #AN5-L/37190 a '60 or '61?  Is there a '61 Bugeye?  Is M19765 a good
transmission number?  Is 14950 a good rear axle number?  I'm trying combine
the
body # on the driver's door jam with the chassis # to make a 15 digit VIN #.

How have some of you gotten a modern VIN #?
This looks like a great forum.