Re: [Spridgets] Synchros?

To: "Chris King" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Synchros?
From: "David Riker" <davriker@nwi.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:22:34 -0800
When building the transmission, you wanted to check each syncro ring to the
cone that it engages.  There is often a variation in the inside diameter of
the syncro ring, and a variation in the outside diameter of the cone, and
you can mix and match syncro's until you get a combination that bites well,
of course of little consolation since the transmission is already completely
assembled and installed.  If the syncro ring can't bite into the cone, there
will be a crunch engaging the ratio.

Your gear lube could be too slippery.  Try a thicker oil.  If memory serves
me correctly, unlike the ribcase, the 1500 box uses gear lube.  If you
started with motor oil, switch it out for gear lube.  If you started with
synthetic, switch it out for dino based.  If you started with 90 weight,
jump up to 120 weight.

Dave R.