Re: [Spridgets] Spridgets Digest, Vol 31, Issue 20

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Spridgets Digest, Vol 31, Issue 20
From: "Bob Gardner" <rdgard@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:07:54 -0800
 The vibration could be many things.  The first thing to do is to isolate
what is causing the shake.

Put in Neutral and rev engine, if no vib, jack up under dif and run through
gears and note if vibe still starts at 35 mph and still gets worse, then see
if it starts at a certain rpm in different gears. If it is always 35 mph no
matter which gear, the vibe is after tranny.  Then put one wheel on the
ground and make it vibrate.  Which gear and what rpm and what speed.  Then
do the other wheel on the ground.  That will tell you if one wheel is out of
balance or if it is the drive shaft or a bent wheel etc. If it is one wheel
more than the other, swap both rear with front wheels and try again. Any
difference?

So far, you have spent nothing, drank a six pac and learned a lot. Some
times there is a slight bulge on a tire that you can hardly notice but will
make a good shake. If you can't make it vibrate with the above, then you
know it is in the front of the car and with the tires rotated, drive it and
see if it still shakes and if the shake is different.  You might also try to
put the spare on one front and then the other front and see if that changes
the vibration.

By then, you are out of beer  and at least know where the vibration isn't
coming from.

Cheers,

Bob in San Diego

Robert D. Gardner