[Spridgets] mig welder....and another subject

To: "'Spridget Chat Group'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] mig welder....and another subject
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:56:04 -0500
Just to follow-up on this morning's post, and because I won't have the time,
for a few days, to respond to everyone who replied off-list:
A good MIG machine is a genuine pleasure to own.  But you really should have
some professional (as in a tech school course) instruction to get you started
in the right direction, so that you can recognize when you screw-up ;)  Then,
get lots of practice.  Heavy stuff (3/16", 1/4", etc.) stuff is MUCH easier to
weld than autobody steel.  Wouldn't hurt to get some scrap bits & pieces of
the heavy stuff to practice on, to get the feel of it, before moving to 18 or
20 ga sheet metal.
Just take your time and think your way through each project, so that you don't
end up "painting yourself into a corner", so to speak.  You want to position
your weld seams where you can access them most conveniently for a good weld
joint.  This will often mean replacing a much larger section than is actually
rusted or damaged........or buying a complete panel and just using a small
section of it.
Another very important thing is visibility.  Most guys try to use too dark a
filter (or shade, if you prefer).  I usually use a #7 or #8 filter when I weld
autobody steel......yet I see novices trying to weld 20 ga looking through a
#11 or #12 filter......which is what I use for welding 3/8" or 1/2" plate.
Put lots of light on the area you are welding.  You will, of course, need to
devise a way to protect light bulbs from weld sparks........
Also, if it's not working well for you, just put the damn thing down and walk
away for an hour or two (or a day/week or two...whatever it takes).  Unless
you weld several hours each and every day, you will always run into situations
where it feels like you just can't run a decent weld pass.  Don't try to force
it.  Practice & patience will serve you well.

On another subject, I've just had a few very difficult days.  Today's main
feature was the funeral of one of my favorite, younger cousins.  Like the rest
of our family, she was obnoxiously healthy and should have lived well into her
90s.  So, get your H1N1 vaccinations, no matter how immortal you think you may
be.

Bud Osbourne