Re: [Spridgets] Is anyone running a 649 cam?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, Mark Haynes <haynes386@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Is anyone running a 649 cam?
From: fastvee <fastvee@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:32:49 -0800 (PST)
Hi Mark.
The 649 is way too much cam for a street 948. The smaller the engine, the
higher the rpm where it "comes on the cam", which would be more than 3000 rpm
in a 948 with a 300 degree cam. You will need to set the compression ratio to
12:1 or higher or you would have less torque in the lower rpm range than a
stock engine. I suspect the 295 chambers are much larger than the 1098 heads
we raced with, and I don't know if you could mill enough enough to get what
you need without complications. We milled .125" from a 185 head, brazed up the
oil galley, and still needed a .100" dome on the piston to get 12.5:1. David
Vizard says the 649 cam could be a fast road cam in the over-bored 1400 and
1600 cc engines. The added displacement has the effect of taming long duration
cams.
We recently discussed street cam choices on this list for the 1275 I am
building. The consensus was that even a 286 degree cam is too much for the
street, and that was my first choice. We tend to over-estimate how much time
we spend at high rpm on the street, and 276 degrees is good for a street 1275.
Based on what I said about displacement, maybe 266 degrees would be ideal for
a 948?
John
Fogelsville, PA