Re: [Spridgets] alternator conversion help needed

To: <ryan.kubanoff@comcast.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] alternator conversion help needed
From: David Groundwater <dwgwater@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 14:50:32 -0600
THere are lots of good sources on the net and in the archives. Frank is the
expert on the Festiva alternator.  From his gospel out of the archives:

"The Ford Festiva alternators are small, so are some Hondas.
Both jap alts. The wiring is simple, connect all the thick wires
together at the regulator, run the genny field wire from the alt to the
ignition light."

 The thick wire at the old genny end of things goes to the big output on the
alternator.  One of the thin wires is the field wire that energizes the
alternator field.  It runs through the red light on your dash and connects to
the field terminal on the alternator.    It's the one labeled labeled "L" for
light.  The one labeled "S" is the sense wire that tells the alternator the
system voltage.  THis is a great explanation of how the remote voltage sense
feature works.  Once you know how it works you can decide from where you want
the alternator to read the system voltage

http://madelectrical.com/electricaltech/remotevoltagesensing.shtml

Dave
> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 18:44:20 +0000
> From: ryan.kubanoff@comcast.net
> To: spridgets@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Spridgets] alternator conversion help needed
>
> I am converting from the original lucas alternator to an alternator from a
ford festiva. What I thought would be an unplug/replug wiring is not the case.
Has anybody done this on a 71-74 midget? there are 3 wires from the wiring
harness 2 thin and one thick. but there are multiple wire connections on the
alternator. one nut for the battery, a 2 wire plug labeled S and L, and
another small plug connector towards the bottom.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390709/direct/01/