[Spridgets] spark timing. (was : battery drain...update)

To: spridgets <spridgets-aus@yahoogroups.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] spark timing. (was : battery drain...update)
From: Andy Webster <a_d_webster@yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 02:43:49 -0800 (PST)
Greetings
so I finally got the engine running again..

it seems that the oil I put in the SU (hif44) does not stay there! It was
dripping into the barrel of the carb and going through to foul my spark
plugs.
Not sure why.. I didn't think they could be overfilled....
Should you fill dashpots with the cap and little piston totally removed or
just enough to slide the top out of the way to get oil in?
I had  fully removed it.

Anyway, i cleaned the plugs and used a spray bottle to get some water in there
when I started it to keep the plugs from oiling up after 10 seconds.
Seems to have done the trick.....

now though as a result of that debacle I lost my expensive spark timing,...
 it i hadn't touched it since a $500 day at the dyno tuners..

I'd be interested to hear the spark settings some of you run..in particular
1275's in warm street tune. (LCB, cooper-ish cam, etc).

I have a TRIGER timing belt which has the timing pointer on the top edge, so I
had to scribe a TDC mark on the crank pulley when I built the engine.

A bigger timing pointer would have been good, as there is only 10 degrees...
If you want to know what is happening at higher RPMs than you're just
guessing..

At least its running again...I guess I'll just keep winding a few clicks of
advance on each time, until i hear it ping, then back it off a few clicks.

good to have it back...it's summer here!

cheers

Andy

See what's on at the movies in your area. Find out now:
http://au.movies.yahoo.com/session-times/