Re: [Spridgets] Question

To: "Kirk Hargreaves" <khargreaves2@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Question
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:18:58 -0500
Re: Porsche's methods of cam drive.  It should be noted that, on the engine
which actually gave birth to the lore & legend of Porsche reliability, the
cams were driven by a series of shafts & gears.  These quad cam, four
cylinder units required about 40 man hours to assemble!  This was Porsche's
war horse from approximately late 1954 through 1964, eventually being coaxed
to produce 180 hp in Formula 1 trim.  The flat 8 that replaced it (in F1)
during the 1962 season also featured gear driven cams, as did subsequent
developments of that engine, including those powering the 907, 908 & 917.
The type 901 flat 6 engine, which first appeared in the replacement for the
356, featured a SOHC flat 6, with chain driven cams.  This engine powered
the 911 right up through the last model year to use air cooling and also
powered the 911 competition cars along with some 904s, and the highly
successful 906 racer.  Porsche never hid the fact that they employed chain
driven cams as a production cost saving measure and that 6 cyl unit consumed
about 8 man hours to assemble.  However, as anyone familiar with "street"
911s can tell you, Porsche had some "issues" with timing chain tensioner
durability.  The failures produced some pretty major engine damage, to say
the least.  They didn't get it completely cured until the late 70s or early
80s (and I keep hearing rumblings that it still isn't a fool-proof system).

So, the way I see it, either form of cam drive (chains or belts) requires
regular maintenance if you want complete reliability.  The more frequently &
tighter you wind 'em up, the more attention the cam drives require.  My
research (not the least bit scientific, I might ad) has indicated that
tensioners, rather than belts or chains, are usually the cause of any
failure.

Gear drives, while arguably far more reliable, are certainly more expensive
to produce, which is the main reason you don't see them spinning overhead
cams on production car engines.  Of course, for "pushrod" engines, gear
driven valve trains are considered cost-feasible (think all air-cooled VWs).

Bud Osbourne