Re: [Spridgets] wire wheel rear end conversion

To: "Leo S" <60bugeye@cebridge.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] wire wheel rear end conversion
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 21:48:54 -0500
There are differing opinions regarding the axle length issue.

It is difficult to switch to the later wire wheel axle housing because is does
not have the quarter elliptic mounts.

The gentleman from Georgia at Jubilee had a white Bugeye with wires and he had
to make up a special
jig to reweld all the mounts onto the later axle.  It's allot of work.

I've read in the list archives about people in the UK pressing the axles out of
the wire hubs and then
welding them to gain the extra length, with the added side effect that you will
never be able to replace
the hubs as a serviceable item.

It would be nice if someone would offer aftermarket 1/2" longer axle shafts in
4340 steel.
The raw material is about $90.  It would need to be machined the whole length
and splined at each end.
If you know a good machinist then I think this might be the best way to go, but
I've never met anyone
who did it this way.

Then there are those who say that you might be OK with the 1/2" deficit, so
long as you "take it easy".
The later shafts are much harder than the original bugeye axles...yadda..there
is still a good amount of spline
in the hub...yadda..and everything will be OK...

I fall into the later category.  Or at least I will when I swap over to the
wires.

I will let you know how it goes as I intend to do this swap in the early
spring.
I have already blasted and primered the wheels and all I need to do is rebuild
the front hubs and paint the wheels.