Re: [Spridgets] Car stuff in general

To: Frank <spritenut@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Car stuff in general
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 01:09:25 -0600
Geez!!   Last year my mom (age 89) had problems with the brakes on her
Taurus. I forget the year!  Looks like I better make a trip to Colorado
Springs and make sure her brake lines are OK....

Cheers!!
Jim

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Frank <spritenut@comcast.net> wrote:

> As I fix up this 97 Mercury Sable to flip, I have to wonder what all the
> hype is about Toyota's wanting to keep accelerating.
> This POS had 3 brake pipes rusted not with pin holes but 4 inches of pipe
> was gone on 3 separate brake pipes.
> I mentioned this to a relative who used to work for Ford, he said the 96,
> 97, and 98 Taurus and Sables would pop brake pipes routinely but there was
> never a recall on them.
> He told me right where they rusted out, same place as this car did. Design
> flaw? Made in china pipes?
> I have taken apart 50 year old Sprites and never saw brake pipes corroded
> as bad as they were on this 13 year old Merc.
> And the brakes failed 3 years ago, so 10 years out of brake pipes?
> If anyone out there owns one of these CHECK THE BRAKE PIPES right under the
> drivers side rear door.
> The rest of the car's problems were minor, a sensor, a belt, some WD40, and
> a good cleaning. Now it goes well and it even stops on a dime with out the
> pedal going to the floor.
> It's for sale to finance more Sprite work ;)
>
> I am plugging away on my own Sprite, it's painted, the de-seaming looks
> great, My ceramic coated  headers came back,
> I may just get to popping in the engine one night this week. My local trim
> shop says he will cut and install my carpets this time, he owes me a favor.
> He said my rug job looks like a carpenter did it. I said his carpentry work
> (on boat seats) looks like an upholsterer did it.
> So now that we both know what we are good at, we do what we have to for
> each other. Besides he always has to sew the piping on the tunnel carpet no
> matter who installs the carpet. And he is teaching me the "right" way to do
> the vinyl interior panels. Again he says it looks like a carpenter did
them.
> I thought they looked OK, and he said "they would pass but not in my shop."
> It's the glue, he has the good stuff, I get the stuff from home defect.
>
> The windshield is new and installed in the frame but Mike, the glass man
> refused to help pull the "bootleg" rubber body seal thru the channel.
> He still remembers Tiff's Bugeye windshield from last year where we needed
> to recruit the 3 guys from the stereo shop next door to help pull a rubber
> gasket thru a channel.
>
> --
> Frank Clarici
> Toms River, NJ
> My own Fleet of Sprites

Cheers!!
Jim
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a
shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress."
       John Adams
       US diplomat & politician (1735 - 1826)

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75