[Spridgets] Clutch Not Disengaging

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Clutch Not Disengaging
From: David Lieb <72spridget@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 11:01:44 -0500
A friend I had not previously met came over yesterday with his 74
Midget. He was having trouble with 2nd gear and I offered to loan him
a spare ribcase while he rebuilt his. We yanked the engine and
transmission out, bolted up my spare, and reassembled. His carbon
throwout was almost worn out, so I used a spare bearing unit I had on
the shelf. Got it all back together and we aren't getting the clutch
to disengage to the point of allowing the input shaft to stop
completely. I can force it into second and thence into first, but it
will creep like mad.

We did not disconnect the slave from the hydraulics, but I went ahead
and flushed and bled the hydraulics with the Eezi-Bleed. No
difference. We have motion on the slave, seemingly from the moment the
pedal starts downward until it stops. I did not measure the throw, but
it seemed to be about 3/8". The fork winds up near the end of the slot
for it. We did not mess with the pressure plate.

My primary suspects are the clutch fork and the throwout bearing, both
of which will require yanking it all out again ;-( Anything else I can
try before that?
David L

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75