Re: [Spridgets] Heater Box Clips

To: Dean Hedin <dlh2001@comcast.net>, David Riker <davriker@nwi.net>,
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Heater Box Clips
From: Billy Zoom <billyzoom@billyzoom.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 22:10:40 -0700
The purpose of the thermostat is to make the engine warm up faster because
almost all engine wear occurs while the engine is below normal operating
temperature. It's not supposed to hold the engine at it's rated temperature
like your furnace thermostat.
A 160 degree thermostat won't make the engine run any cooler than a 180
degree thermostat because they're both just going to stay open once car's
reached operating temperature, which should be hotter than 180 degrees.
It's bad to run your engine too cool.

> A long time ago I put a 160F thermostat in in a vain attempt to bring that
> "over 200F" temp down.  It didn't make much of a difference.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums