Re: [Spridgets] Tired Starter

To: "David Lieb" <72spridget@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Tired Starter
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 22:59:43 -0400
Let's just assume it's an original solenoid, which will have the button.  We
know it cranks OK under certain conditions, right?  That would seem to me to
indicate a bad connection, somewhere.  If the button on the solenoid
produces a good response from the starter (under the conditions where it
previously hasn't cranked well), then the problem can be assumed to be
"upstream" of the solenoid, right?
If it doesn't have a button (and since it's under the fresh air ducting for
the heater, ya gotta feel around for it), then, obviously you can't check
function in that manner.  Personally, from what's been described, I'd be
looking for a slightly loose or corroded connection first, then checking
condition of the brushes.
But, since I'm a firm believer in checking the easy/simple/inexpensive stuff
first; I'd look for that button to push, first, and then I'd bridge the
solenoid terminal posts.
Bud Osbourne