Re: [Spridgets] Another British Engine

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Another British Engine
From: <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 23:19:00 -0400
I've owned 1 minivan and one SUV.  We bought the SUV specifically for its
offroad capabilities, and we have used them.  We have been places that required
4WD low range.  Before that I had the minivan, and I took it camping lots of
places with challenging roads.  The minivan had more room inside, was more
comfortable, and got much better fuel mileage than the SUV.  My contention is
that most people that drive SUV's would be better off with a minivan.  From
your description of how you use your SUV, you didn't do anything with it that I
didn't do with my minivan.

This may be somewhat regional but in my area almost nobody takes their SUV's
even off of paved roads.  I understand that in other parts of the country there
are more people that take them offroad, or at least drive snow and mud roads to
where they live.

Of course we have a lot of people that drive pickups and never carry anything
more than an ice chest in the back.

> There's nothing intrinsically wrong w/ SUVs -- until people went all
> Freudian with the size. We've got a 2001 Xterra. We liked the looks, it
> would fit the bari sax and the telescope, and it was an SUV for people
> who actually used them for sports. Mostly, it carries astronomy, SCUBA,
> and surf gear (sometimes all three!).
>
> It goes off-road avery so often, but not often enough to justify 4WD,
> so, we got the 2WD version. That said, we can take it pretty much
> anywhere we've wanted to go, with or without a road.
>
> I'm sure there's a certain amount of self-selection, but most of the
> people I know who own an SUV, use it for either cargo, or off-road.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums