Re: [Spridgets] NO LBC - something for the train enthusiasts

To: Edward Perez <eap2140@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] NO LBC - something for the train enthusiasts
From: "rrengineer @dslextreme.com" <rrengineer@dslextreme.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:16:02 -0700
Oh crap, I see this every day at my job.  If there are only two tracks for
the flow of traffic, one is shut down for what is called "single tracking".
What usually takes me 7-9 hours to complete a run from Barstow to Los
Angeles or vice a versa can take 12 or more hours.  We have to slow down for
the duration of the length of the work area which can be as much as several
miles.  This bottle neck limits trains in both directions.  The dispatcher
"fleets" the trains, which means he runs several trains in one direction at
a time.  If you are not in the direction of the "fleeting" you can sit in
line for several hours.  If you are at the back of the line, you will
probably be "dogcaught", which means a relief crew will take over your train
sometimes before you go on the "hours of service" law (federal law limits
daily service to 12 hours) and "die on the law".  Sometimes they don't get
to you before that.  I have been on duty for as much as 21 hours.  Good
payday, but it can get boring if you don't have reading material or an ipod.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2