[Spridgets] Was: Speaking of Harleys - Now other bikes

To: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>,
Subject: [Spridgets] Was: Speaking of Harleys - Now other bikes
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:42:21 -0500
Here's an alternative position.

I have owned and ridden BMW motorcycles since the mid 1960s. I am just as
attached to them as Harley folks are to their bikes but for an entirely
different set of reasons.

Quiet.  At stop lights people actually roll down their windows and say
"Thank you for being so quiet".  I want to drive through town and draw as
little attention as possible. The cops can say "I hear a Harley coming". I
want them to say "Did a motorcycle just go by?"

I don't like large groups of people. I don't like riding in large groups. I
like to travel alone so I can stop when and where I want to. I wear gear
that is designed for the most comfort when riding, not to show off. I wear a
good helmet, gloves, armored jacket and Gortex lined boots. I have no
tatoos. I don't think I need any more decorations or holes in my body than
the ones the good Lord already gave me. I like to ride long distances.
Frequently. I have 3 100,000 mile awards from the BMW Motorcycle Owners
Association. I don't like adjusting and lubing chain drives. I have a full
fairing which keeps bugs, dirt and rain off me when I ride. I don't like to
ride Interstate Highways.

I have 3 BMW motorcycles now. 1964, 1976 & 1989.  All are very reliable and
have been since I bought them. The 76 I have owned since new has 180,000
miles on it and has never had the top end down. My BMWs do not provide a
life style to me. They are a finely crafted tool that I use to pursue the
occasionally vagabond life style that I enjoy.

Finally, while I may kid Harley guys a bit, I respect their riding style.
It's just not mine.
--
Cheers!!
Jim