Re: [Spridgets] Datsun 5 speed tranny fluid?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Datsun 5 speed tranny fluid?
From: Rick Bastedo <rbastedo@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:42:39 -0700
Hi Matt,

That's been a subject of some debate, seems you are very likely to develop a
leak if you put synthetic in an older Datsun transmission without replacing
the seals. If you are replacing the seals then synthetic seems to be a good
choice.

The newer gear lubes (GL5) seems to do some nasty stuff to the metals in our
old gearboxes, so using them puts at least your syncro's at risk.

Here is a good thread about it on the Ratsun forum:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20936-manual-transmission-fluid

and here's another good place to look:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/GearOil.html

In general an old style GL4 gear lube should work, but be careful as some of
these use a newer formula that also is caustic to the brass bits.

I also know some say going with an old style 30 weight engine oil works.
I think that would treat your gearbox better than a GL5 gear lube but don't
know how good it is for smooth shifting.

Rick (lovin them Datsun Tranny's) Bastedo

From: Matt Hagopian
Subject: [Spridgets] Datsun 5 speed tranny fluid?

What fluid should I use?
I put some in last year but I think the rear main seal went.. What fluid
should I use?

Sincerely,

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75