Re: [Spridgets] Runs great, but terrible mileage

To: <cmanuel@wi.rr.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Runs great, but terrible mileage
From: "David Riker" <davriker@nwi.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:38:32 -0700
That's exactly my in-town mileage.  Short trips, lots of spirited starts,
reving up to 4k or more before shifting.  I have a Weber DCOE40, they tend
to use more fuel than SU's  due to the true accellerator pump and richer
mixture.  About 120 miles is all I'll push it on in-town driving.  On a
highway trip, my best fuel economy is usually when I am cruising above 70
mph, the weber and cam seem to come together and be at their most efficient.
Even at that, 28-30mpg  is tops, putting the range at about 200 miles.

smog vs. no smog is very little difference in mpg, as the smog pump doesn't
cause that much drag.  By '73 the compression ratio was lower than earlier
cars, and the ignition timing less advanced.  Be sure that the SU's are set
correctly, and adjust the timing properly, and the mileage will be the best
it can be with out other modifications.

David R.