Re: [Spridgets] Replacing Floor Pans

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Replacing Floor Pans
From: "Mark Haynes" <haynes386@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:37:45 GMT
AS an ex-machinist, I can help with this. Don't run these at the highest speed
possible, as the RPMs increase, you exceed the chip cutting capacity
regardless of the type of material. The most efficient speed is not always the
highest speed. I kept my cutter at about 1/2 the maximum speed of my VSR
drill, and my cutter is still in fine condition after removing two rear
fenders and a rear panel from a Spitfire as well as removing a rear quarter
and two cowl panels from a Spridget.
AS the cutter diameter increases, you need to reduce the RPMs to maintain the
same SFM (surface feet per minute) cutting rate, otherwise
you will overheat the bit and dull it quickly. The same goes for drill bits
and end mills.
Just my .02, trying to educate the world again.

Mark Haynes
HAN6L12977
HAN5L8016

I used one like that to remove the floorpan in my bugeye.  Like Billy said
they do get dull,  get a few replacement cutters.

http://www.netzero.net/freeemail?refcd=NZTAGOUT1FREM0210

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive