Re: [Spridgets] M/C bleeding problem

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] M/C bleeding problem
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 12:08:26 -0000
Bob,
Putting this simply - you were told lies.

Greg,
The problem with the seals is in MIXING the two fluids as the compounds used
to make the seal reacts differently to a mixture but can happily live with
EITHER ONE on its own.

Silicone and Synthetic are two different fluids in the braking world and a
Synthetic DOT 4 is NOT miscible with a Silicone DOT 5 as Greg has just found
out.  He needs a flush out and will need new seals all the way round.  If
the guy in the shop suggested Synthetic knowing that Silicone had been used
before, then perhaps the bill for a new system should be left with him.  Or
better still let the shop take it to and pay a garage that will do the job.
('Cause it's odds on it will need a couple of flushes and every seal
replacing.  If it were my car, although more expensive, I would find it
easier, quicker and putting my mind at rest by fitting a complete new
system! )

Synthetic is NOT a Silicone brake fluid.  IMHO Synthetic DOT 4 is miscible
with ordinary DOT 4 and whilst it may live with it, the mix is still not
recommended.

Mineral brake fluids won't mix with anything else!

You may find
http://www.sportbikesolutions.com/motorcycle_brake_fluid.php?ssparms=articles/brake-fluid

or  http://tiny.cc/1qvem  is a good read.

Guy R Day