[Spridgets] Renault Dauphine

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Renault Dauphine
From: "Bob Gardner" <rdgard@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 12:21:12 -0800
My little brother had a Dauphine that had the strangest electro-magnetic
clutch in it.  It had a standard 4 speed tranny but the gear shift lever had
a sort of hinge in it and when you went to change gears, as you pulled the
gear shift lever, it moved on the hinge about 1/2 inch first and when it
did, it pulled a switch and it shoot juice to the magnetic clutch through
some large black box with cooling vents on it.  The magnet would pull in the
clutch and you could shift. To keep going, just let go of the shift lever
and the magnet would let go and away you went with some slippage. There was
no clutch pedal. The black box would die and catch fire, real fire! Every
now and then.  We went through about 4 or 5 boxes before we sold the car.
Other than the fire breathing clutch, the car ran great for several years
and gave good mileage and was sort of fun to bash around.

Happy Xmas EVE all.

Bob

Robert D. Gardner

Gardner Productions LLC