Re: [Spridgets] ...wheel bearings

To: "'Deikis, John G'" <John.Deikis@va.gov>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] ...wheel bearings
From: "Jim Seippel" <aseippel@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 23:28:36 -0600
If you have plenty of shims, it is pretty easy to set end float. Just
install an excess of shims so that you have some end float. Use a dial
indicator to measure the amount of end float, then remove the shims equal to
the float minus the desired end play. I usually remove shims to leave about
.002" float. The last time I did it, it took less than 5 minutes a side. Of
course you have to do it without brake calipers installed.
I think the tapered bearings are much better and the cost is virtually the
same. Plus you can disassemble them much easier.
Jim