Re: [Spridgets] Bearings Replacement

To: "Shop at \" Just Brits \"" <shop@justbrits.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Bearings Replacement
From: "Bert Shirey" <bertshirey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:25:22 -0500
Ed,

     Thanks. Problems can really creep up on you with these old cars. You
think they go on forever with routine maintenance but nothing lasts. I`m
beginning to feel a little creaky myself.

    I used  to regularly cut filters to see what was getting trapped but got
away from doing that mainly because it is messy and I never found anything
before.

    The MG has been with us from the start. As much part of the family as
that cat on the window sill.

    Since I had the car so long, I tend to notice even small things out of
the norm. The MG runs so darned well, except for that fast idle problem that
I did fix, if I hadn`t seen the glitter in the oil last week, I wouldn`t
have changed the filter this time and wouldn`t have inspected it if I did
change it.

   I knew that fast idle business wasn`t doing the motor any good. The cam
on the rear carb had somehow gotten around and I couldn`t choke without
racing a cold engine. Even though I was cranking up the pressure before
start, the oil is pretty thick in winter. Sure that hurt.

    A lot of the guys around here are just happy if they can get the cars on
the road for the weekend. If you are going for longevity, oil analysis makes
sense.

    The suggestions I am getting are very helpful. When I got my first
Bugeye in 63, I knew nothing about keeping it up. Some 50 years later,
pretty much making it up as I went along, I know next to nothing. After
today, even more. Well, that`s progress...

Bert