Re: [Spridgets] SUVs and pickups

To: "<spamiam@comcast.net>" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] SUVs and pickups
From: kgb@frontiernet.net
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 16:42:17 +0000 (UTC)
Is it conceivable that some people might actually have the need for both? I
drive my small truck (Jeep Comanche) as my daily driver. I can pick up animal
feed, lumber, or other items that would not fit in a car trunk without driving
home and changing vehicles. He also gets 25 miles per gallon, so he does as
well as most modern fuel efficient passenger cars, and better than some. His
main disadvantage is the fact that he can only carry one passenger.

On the days that I have human company, the Jeep Cherokee has almost all the
advantages of the Comanche, with the added benefit of being able to carry more
than one passenger. He still has 4WD that is needed for many of my local roads,
year round, not just during winter. Since his gearing is slightly different, he
averages around 33 MPG on the highway. Again, as well or better than many
modern vehicles. With the rear seat folded down, I can still carry feed and
supplies without driving home to change vehicles, but that reduces him to a one
passenger vehicle.

I also have the Chrysler convertible for fun and personal enjoyment. He
averages over 40 MPG on the highway, so he is a very comfortable economy car
that also has style and flair that is lacking on any of the rubber stamped
econoclones, regardless of manufacturer. No, I don't need him, any more than I
need my Spridget. I just happen to like him and find him more useful than a TV
that is bigger than my wall or a stereo system that will break windows 20 miles
away, so whose business is it to tell me that I shouldn't have him? He also has
sentimental value, as he was the last Christmas present Gary gave me prior to
his death.

Kate

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75