Re: [Spridgets] Off Topic - Kindle

To: Macy Larry <lmacy@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Off Topic - Kindle
From: Chris Manuel <cmanuel@wi.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 18:21:02 -0500
Can't send email on a Kindle...

Chris

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 21, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Macy Larry <lmacy@mac.com> wrote:

> OK Jay, Here is what I tell folks. I had a Kindle, I got an iPad and the
kindle went to a new home. Now having said that, here ya go.

> If all you ever want to do is read books and only books, the the Kindle is
your device. Just don't read after dark in bed ;-)  I loved it. I was not
really sure as I loved the feel of the books. Then I discovered it is not the
feel of the book, but the story. As soon as you get into the story the media
goes away.

> I do not have any experience with the Nook, but I hear it is OK. Does anyone
know if the law suit got settled?? I hadn't heard. If the suit goes against
B&N you may have a device you can not use.

> So I walked into the Computer Connection after the iPad came out. I wanted
to try before I buy. I was concerned about the back lighting and the shiny
screen. I opened up a book and started to read. Then I opened up Safari and
went to Amazon to find out how much the book was (it was free, it was a demo),
then back to the book. I held it up to the window. I ordered one. My comment
to my wife, "Man am I in trouble" ;-) It was that good.

> I now have an iPad 2. It is MUCH more readable in daylight. I do not know
what they did to the screen, but it is better. It is lighter and faster. I
also have the Kindle, Nook, Borders and Google apps so I can get my books
anywhere, including Apple. There are also a bunch of sites that you can get
better prices. For SciFi, try webscriptions.com. It;s Baen Books outlet. They
email you the book in ePub, Kinle etc format and you can open it on the iPad.

> So if you want a reader, get a Kindle and get the 3G. It's free and you
never know when you might want it. If  want more. Get the iPad. (The Galaxy
won't stand up, but Apple haters will buy it in droves, after all they settled
for Windows).

> Larry
>

> On Apr 21, 2011, at 13:32 PM, Jay wrote:
>
>> Anyone here have any practical advice they could offer on the Kindle
reader? My
>> daughter wants one for her birthday and I know nothing about them.
>>
>> We are going to make a decision in the next couple of days and one of the
>> questions we have is whether the 3G is really necessary, and if you buy one
do
>> you have to also buy a data subscription or could you use the reader and
just
>> use it WiFi and possibly subscribe at a later time.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> jay

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75