[Spridgets] Oil Overpressure

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Oil Overpressure
From: Michael MacLean <rrengineer.mike@att.net>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 03:00:14 -0700 (PDT)
Since my 1275 rebuild a couple of years ago, I have ahd a problem with oil
overpressure.  At startup, cold it was over 120 and when warm idle was 60 and
over 3000 rpm it was over 90 psi.  I bought an adjustable oil pressure relief
valve from APT and installed it.  Adjusting it all the way out so there was
almost no pressure on the spring, I still have the problem.  David Anton says
it was probably done during the rebuild, that a brass plug was put in an oil
relief gallery hole that should have been left open.  He said, if I remove the
pan I will be able to see it.  At least that is what he suspects may be
wrong., the Datsun tranny needs the synchros replaced and a massive tranny oil
leak has to be found.   I guess I have to pull the motor and tranny to fix
these problems.  I am not really worried about pulling the engine and tranny,
my problem is getting the bonnet off all by myself so I can do this.  Any
volunteers want to help me get the
 bonnet off?  There will probably be free beer involved.  I know what
Spridgiteers require for payment.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2