Re: [Spridgets] Driving on the left - was TV License

To: "Kirk Hargreaves" <khargreaves2@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Driving on the left - was TV License
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 16:01:19 +0100
Jousting was a game not invented when driving on the left was established.
fashion and even in those days  you steered it on the left.  Evidenced from
old quarries where deeper grooves in the road surface showed which side the
laden carts were on when they were leaving the quarry.  This was imported
into the UK when we lost that invasion and the same wear pattern was found
over here as well.
The next thing is similar to what Kirk says but, as people were naturally
right handed they held a sword in that hand and would face danger to the
right.  In this case danger was from the right, the oncoming person.  Of
minor interest is the direction of a spiral staircase,  where the attacker -
coming from lower down - would be at a disadvantage to the right-handed
defender in a properly built spiral staircase.  This does not always hold
true as some were built with a 'widdershins' (left handed) spiral.
Next comes Napoleon who decreed in true Gaelic style that France would drive
on the right because England drove on the left.  Or so it is said.  Around
this time was the American War of Independence and France was supporting
that in the right places in America.  The USA version of Parliamentarians
appreciated that support and yet another group of people (America) essayed
forth on the right.  However, there are also stories about which side you
hold or lead a team of horses and this led to driving on the right - but
that could be confusing fact with a good story.
Finally, the oldest documentary evidence in the UK about laws for driving on
the left was made 19 March 1722 by the Bridgehouse Lands Committee in
pursuance of the order of the Court of Aldermen following instruction of the
Lord Mayor of London, Sir Gerard CONYERS, for making better regulation of
the passage over London Bridge.  They appointed a street keeper called
Edward GEORGE to do keep people to the left but he popped his clogs the day
after he was appointed.  A chap called Richard NASH, another street keeper,
was appointed to force traffic to drive on the left.  Parliament made this a
national recommendation in 1773 (they were not empowered to make traffic
laws in those days) but this became a national law (when they were
empowered) in 1835.  So the history of that abominated profession, the
traffic warden, was born.

Guy R Day