Re: [Spridgets] Likely Pilot Bushing problem + cam question (clutch

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Likely Pilot Bushing problem + cam question (clutch
From: Gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 20:33:07 -0700
Steve,

In my experience this can occur from a failing throw out bearing. I
have seen this occur at least twice. Once it was the complete
disintegration of the carbon material, the other was one side of the
pivot failing, causing it to exert uneven pressure against the
pressure plate, making it difficult to get full release.

It could be any of the aforementioned problems Kevin lists, but the
suddenness of it makes me think that the TO bearing is something to
examine. If you pull the plug (if there is one) in the opposite clutch
fork hole, you should be able to get a peek in there and see if
anything looks off. A lot of free movement with the push rod removed
(distance fully retracted vs up against the mating surface) will give
you an idea as well.

Gerard
http://gerardsgarage.com/

On Jun 17, 2011, at 6:31 PM, spridgets-request@autox.team.net wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 15:44:28 -0400
> From: Steven Guterman <an5.sprite@gmail.com>
> To: Kevin Valentine <kevinv1275@gmail.com>
> Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Likely Pilot Bushing problem + cam question
>
> Kevin,
>
> No clutch burning smell or vibration. Currently no squealing sound,
> but
> every now and then I did get a squealing sound when I depressed the
> clutch
> and put it in gear.
>
> The fork had no play at the hinge joint when it was assembled.  Any
> idea how
> much movement I should getting at the slave? When my wife was
> pushing the
> clutch pedal the clutch rod looked like it moved immediately.
>
> Steve

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive