[Spridgets] Need help in dealing with a missing title

Subject: [Spridgets] Need help in dealing with a missing title
From: thistle_3619 at yahoo.com (James Gruber)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:32:42 -0700 (PDT)
Folks I need some advice on how to deal with this one on a '59 BE I learned
about and have been working with the person who has the car in his possession.
Car has been in storage in an airplane hangar for some time. It has unpaid
storage fees. Car was verbally given to my contact's son in exchange for
storage
fees and abandoned. The legal owner of this car who holds the title,
car BTW has
not been titled since '78, refuses to return calls. I can pick up
this car for a
fairly modest cost. I have not looked at this car but it will
likely need a
rotiserie restoration but it is unmolested and all of the parts
and pieces are
there. Here is the note I received this AM.

Jim,

My son was
here this past weekend and we discussed what to do with the Bug Eye.
As far
as we are concerned the car is yours. As you recall the person who was
looking after the car verbally gave the car to xxxxxmy son. However, we have
no
title and no matter how many times webve talked to xxxxx (the person
looking
after the car) he has not come up with a title from the owner, a
distant
relative of his wife. So if you want the car it is yours as far as we
are
concerned and you will have to deal with xxxxxx for title purposes. I
know this
is not a clean deal like we wanted but Rick will be leaving for
Japan the end of
July and needs hangar space to store his belongings. Let me
know if you are
still interested and when you would like to come to xxxxxx.
I need some advice from the group on how to deal with this one. I know there
are
ways.... but how best to deal with this so I don't have an issue later
on.