[Spridgets] Interesting Comments From Tony Tocock Re: Aston Martin

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Interesting Comments From Tony Tocock Re: Aston Martin
From: Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:06:26 -0700
I guess you could file this under "what were they thinking?"

I was reading a magazine that I picked up in the UK a couple of months ago
with an article by Tony Tocock.   Tocock was Aston Martin's service engineer
and race mechanic during the era of the 50's and 60's.

>From page 61 out of the June issue of *Thoroughbred & Classic Cars* Tocock
writes about the quality issues of the DB6 engine.  (Lagonda Bentley 6 Cyl).

Very interesting (at least to me).  Tocock joined Aston Martin in
1950.  *(David
Brown* acquired *Aston Martin* in 1947 and Lagonda the following year).

Quote from the article:

*"The LB6 was a bad engine.  When David Brown bought the company it was one
of the first twin overhead camshaft engines in a conventional car.  Jaguar
jumped on it pretty soon afterwards and beat us hand over fist simply
because it's engine had a normal cylinder block and a seven bearing crank.

The LB6 had a four bearing crank with aluminum cheese bearings.  They were
absolutely diabolical.  To think of a DOHC six cylinder on four bearings!

The blocks were weak too.  It was a disaster and it was a wonder the
warranty rates didn't break the firm.  I can remember at one time having
four customer engines under my bench waiting for attention."

*I guess this might be considered one of the low points in British
engineering.

Kirk *

   *

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html