Re: [Spridgets] (no subject)

To: Spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] (no subject)
From: Allen Hefner <lbc77mg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:14:00 -0400
Here's a question for you metallurgists out there.  If one axle is harder
than the others, wouldn't it be more brittle and prone to breakage?  Is a
softer metal better able to handle being banged by the engine power and
brake force?

Just askin'.

Allen Hefner
Norristown, PA

*Current:*
2006 Chebbie
*Former:*
1963 Sunbeam Alpine Series III
1967 Triumph TR4A IRS
1964 VW Type I
1967 VW Type II
1967 Rover 2000TC
1977 MG Midget

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:35 AM, John Deikis <johnsfolly@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just drilled out a box of spare axels to accommodate 7/16-inch studs. All
> had the same numbers and the same "late axel" groove machined around the
> spline end. But one of them was incredibly harder to drill out. In fact, it
> was impossible with my regular bits, while the other 5 went like butter.
> Obviously, some runs of "identical" axels had flanges, at least, that were
> lot harder then the norm.
>
> Anyone else come across this...or have an explanation?
>
> JohnD
> -------------
>
> Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:19:23 -0700
> From: Billy Zoom <billyzoom@billyzoom.com>
> To: Jim Seippel <aseippel@austin.rr.com>, "'Chris Manuel'"
>   <cmanuel@wi.rr.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: [Spridgets] axle or pinion problems?
>
> How much better are the later axles? Aren't they supposed to be harder to
> break?
>
> -JohnD
> Still Playing with Little Cars
> www.johnsfolly.webs.com