[Spridgets] Ethanol - Fuel Sta-bil

Subject: [Spridgets] Ethanol - Fuel Sta-bil
From: dwoerpel at wi.net (Woerpel)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 20:05:49 -0500
Kirk,

Another interesting question!   I used to Sta-bil the tank when putting
the cars away for the winter.  I used to replace the float bowl rubber
gaskets on the SU H type carbs every year also, sometimes twice a year
if I didn't get to drive it much.  I started thinking maybe the methanol
in the Sta-bil was causing the problem.  I now fill the tank with
ethanol-free premium in the fall and do not use Sta-bil and have not
replaced an rubber gasket in 2 years.

To be fair to the the mech. fuel pump it was the one I had when I bought
the car in 1977.  However, it worked fine at the 50th and on the way
home I was desperate for gas and had to put in 3 gallons of E10.  When I
removed the pump and looked at the diaphragm it was de-laminated.  Not
sure if that makes a difference or not.  I'm soaking some old
diaphragms  and some rubber gaskets in E10 to see if there is any
adverse affects.

Dave W.
59 :{)