[Spridgets] Re Ethanol

Subject: [Spridgets] Re Ethanol
From: kmappley at gmail.com (Kurt Appley)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 20:18:52 -0500
Just tired  of hearing folks constantly blaming every problem on ethanol
blended gas. This has been hashed out enough.

 When ethanol came out in the 80's I couldn't wait to put it in my MGB
because I had overhauled the engine in the 70's and raised the compression
ratio right before octane levels plummeted. Ethanol gas gave me back some
octane and made the B tolerable.
Just sold the B  a year ago after having run all that time and, guess what,
it still ran great.

Currently have 5 brit cars all running on ETHANOL!
2 with original fuel lines and 1 with carbs that have never been apart. My
MGA is currently running like crap but then I am thinking of selling it
since I never get around to driving it (2 many cars??). It never got a tank
of fuel run completely thru it last year and I just topped it up before
storing it for the winter. I'm just now burning that fuel out so I can fill
the tank with new fuel for winter. I always fill my tanks before winter to
lessen the area in the tank for condensation. Don't buy into the Sta- Bil
gimmick. The A ran a lot better after I added a couple of gallons of new
fuel and will run great once I get a full tank. Other than the A the rest
run fine.

Yes, I've heard the arguments.
Less energy in a molecule of ethyl alcohol so one would expect less mileage.
I always though so but a friend has done a comparison and claims he sees no
difference.

Fuel, water separation is possible if the fuel is overloaded with water. Ive
never seen this and when I think about it, it seems highly unlikely since
the fuel cleans the water out of fuel tanks. Seems the only way that could
happen is if the station let rain water run into their tank.
Had that happen once with non blended fuel and just barely made it home.
Drained the water into a jug, went back to the station and filled my pickup
from a different tank. I then gave the attendant back his water, refused to
pay for the fill up and drove off!!
 As mentioned, I've never had hose trouble but have heard of some lousy hose
on the market that probably wouldn't stand up to regular non ethanol blend.
I too would love to buy the red ethyl gas we got in the 60's for the same 32
cents but I've learned to face reality.

Kurt.