[Spridgets] Resting Hand on Gear Shift = Less T Bearing Life

Subject: [Spridgets] Resting Hand on Gear Shift = Less T Bearing Life
From: davriker at nwi.net (David Riker)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 18:31:49 -0800
Having had a transmission apart, I can attest that resting you hand on the
gear shift lever causes the shift fork to ride on the gear.  Once the fork
is worn, the gears often are not fully engaged, which leads to them popping
out of gear.  I don't see how this could affect the throw out bearing at
all.

The clutch assembly is seriously under-engineered from the beginning, and is
just one more good reason to convert to Nissan components.  The carbon face
is always in contact with the pressure plate surface as there is no pull-off
spring incorporated in the design.  If still available, I had good luck with
the roller bearing setup, but then of course, the next weakest link is the
clutch plate itself, which is usually worn down to the rivets about the same
time the carbon bearing self destructs.  QH components seemed to hold up
pretty well, but again, probably not much more than about 25-30k miles of
spirited driving, or about every two years as I recall.

David R.