Re: [Spridgets] Could be LBC Rivnut cool product with video link

To: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Could be LBC Rivnut cool product with video link
From: Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 08:14:05 -0800
Billy & List I'm still scratching my head at the price you mentioned
because I see a starter kit for $75.00. I'm going to order this kit for my
Robotics club arsenal : )

Link here scroll down for the $75. kit:

http://www.cardinalcomponents.com/rivnutkits.html

I saw this product when reading a post on another car forum I'm involved
with. The coolest thing mentioned on the thread was that folks in the UK
who have vintage buses like mine will screw on the belly-pans designed for
the sunroof bus so they can keep the chassis rust free. Apparently they
take them off once a year and spray rust preventive materials inside,
probably Waxoil.

Post is here;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490269&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Lin

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM, derf <derf247@gmail.com> wrote:

> In my experience using a screw to set them doesn't work very well at
> all, at least not with the 10-32 Aluminum inserts.  I tinker with
> surplus military generators and some have 10-32 threaded inserts used
> to mount panels.  Trying to set the inserts the military uses with a
> screw is useless.  I was able to make a tool from a HF hand riveter
> and a 10-32 screw that would draw the inserts up nice and tight.  For
> light duty or infrequent use Aluminum threaded inserts are fine, but
> if you want heavy duty use and/or frequent use then you will need
> steel inserts and a good setting tool.
>
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Bob Kitterer <bkitterer@me.com> wrote:
> > Unless you are going to use them with thick metal, greater 1/8 inch non-
> Al, you can just use a screw and washers to pull them in place.  I used a
> couple of these from electronic chassis parts on the back of the BE to hold
> the rear license plate

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive