Re: [Spridgets] [Mgs] Plastic Headlight Restoration

To: Spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] [Mgs] Plastic Headlight Restoration
From: Allen Hefner <lbc77mg@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 11:37:39 -0500
And the new headlight lenses are made of recycled water bottles, which is
probably not the best plastic to use for longevity. New cars are disposable
anyway. Only meant to last a few years.

Ford had a brochure that explained all the recycled stuff in their cars.
The carpet in the boot was made of recycled soda bottles, pedal covers were
old tires, etc.
 Allen Hefner
Norristown, PA

*Current:*
2006 Chebbie
*Former:*
1963 Sunbeam Alpine Series III
1967 Triumph TR4A IRS
1964 VW Type I
1967 VW Type II
1967 Rover 2000TC
1977 MG Midget

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Peter Caldwell <peter@nosimport.com> wrote:

> This plastic lens problem is so universal, I'm a little surprised the Feds
> haven't forced a change.
>
> The history of headlights has such a precedent. Apparently, the mirroring
> of non-sealed headlamps in the 30's used to flake off leaving dim lights.
>  A government agency (doubt NTHSA existed then) mandated sealed beams, much
> to the delight of GE and Westinghouse, et.al. It wasn't until 1985 that
> you could legally have non-sealed lamps, and that was largely driven by
> aerodynamics and fuel economy.
>
> Anyway, that's always been my understanding.
>
> Peter C

spridgets@autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation: $12.75