Re: [Spridgets] Illumination needed-Straight cut vs Helical Gears

To: Mark Haynes <haynes386@netzero.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Illumination needed-Straight cut vs Helical Gears
From: Ron Corry <Ron.Corry@iol.ie>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 23:27:24 +0000
Hi Mark,

Take a look at
http://www.meccanoscene.co.uk/html/articles/gears/Helical%20Gears.html

for "Meccano", read "Erector" if you're in the US of A.

Alan Wenbourne makes an interesting point that Helical Gears create a
side thrust, which has to restrained,
whereas Straight-cut Gears do not. Maybe that's a/the reason for using
the latter in competition cars.

I always heard/understood that Straight-cut Gears were stronger than
Helicals. Now, you have me
wondering.

Ron
AN5 "Oggibip"