Re: [Spridgets] Oil leak - crankcase ventilation?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Oil leak - crankcase ventilation?
From: Gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 11:34:58 -0800
Since we're on the subject. I'll just add a couple things.

I recently heard from someone who had a terrible rear seal oil leak. When the
engine was removed, it turned out that whoever assembled the engine, didn't
install the oil pump cover. I know

 well while not a high probability, but it's a possibility.

Other factor could be that the cast rear plates can fracture through the crank
and oil pump cover opening, and this will cause a serious leak also. It's also
possible that the oil pump cover is not well sealed on both sides. When it
leaks that much oil, these are things to look at carefully as possibilities.

it could also be a damaged are poorly installed half moon seal. I find a lot
of people do not understand how that scroll seal is supposed to function and
don't give this the attention required.

There are cases when nothing will cure it short of a complete teardown and
machining, but I have another solution. I make a rear lip seal conversion that
actually works. This is NOT the same one that some may have seen before.  I
have a lot of people who have had a lot of success with this conversion kit.
It fits with or without the 5 speed kit.

Gerard

spridgets@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive