[Spridgets] O.T. Vehicle Recall Question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] O.T. Vehicle Recall Question
From: Tim Collins <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 15:15:01 -0400
Hi Folks,
My In-laws have a 2002 Mercury Sable LS that is leaking oil. A search
on the Internet indicates that this is a common problem because the
oil pan gasket wiggles out of place. The Father-in-law worries about
these drips and is frequently having me check the oil. (He's 91) He's
had the car at a shop for this problem, not the dealer, and the guy
"couldn't say for sure" what the problem was. The drips amount to a
small mess on the garage floor - no big deal, but it worries him.

So, I began thinking about other problems I learned about the car -
some serious. (coil spring known to break and puncture tire, but not
the subject of a recall) I know where to find recall notices and
complaint notices about a vehicle, but is there a way to find out if
recall service has been performed on a specific vehicle? I can't ask
dad without causing a great amount of worry and he's likely to give
me an answer that has nothing to do with the car anyway. I suppose
the dealer must record repairs made under a recall, but I don't
really want to go to the dealers to ask about a car I don't own. Is
there an on-line solution? I have the VIN.

Tim Collins

spridgets@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive