Re: [Spridgets] Shipping Ribcase tranny

To: "Monty Love" <cmlove@knology.net>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Shipping Ribcase tranny
From: Richard Ball via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 09:28:46 -0700

--===============2339889554057027436==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00C8_01D0D8CF.1DBB52F0"

------=_NextPart_000_00C8_01D0D8CF.1DBB52F0
        charset="utf-8"

Here is the method I have use for shipping a couple Datsun 5 speeds.  =
You may be able to adapt it for the ribcase.

I pick up a 15x15x48 golf club moving box from FedEx/kinkos as the =
shipping box.  I cut four 15x15 squares of 2 inch thick hard foam =
insulation.  I have been able to pick this up at construction sites for =
free so far, but you can get it from any home depot type store.  I take =
one sheet and trace around the bellhousing and cut out the center =
keeping the outer ring.  I glue this ring to the top of one of the other =
foam squares.  Placing the transmission bellhousing back into the ring I =
pass four bolts through bellhousing bolt holes and the foam, this fasten =
the transmission to the foam block.  On the tail shaft end I do the same =
thing except I sandwich cardboard between the two foam sheets for added =
strength so the shaft can not punch through the foam.  This whole thing =
is then slipped into the shipping box.  The box will be too long so you =
will cut it down and create a shorter version of the original that is =
custom sized for the transmission.  since the transmission is supported =
on the ends centered in the box you don=E2=80=99t need to pad the sides. =
 I do usually use the cut out center section of the one foam pad to =
cover the drain plug for a little added protection.

Bill M originally gave me this Idea and I have tweaked it slightly with =
the addition of the foam rings for added lateral support.

Rich Ball
=E2=80=9876 Midget
Everett, Wa