[Spridgets] Fwd: Re: Engine Break-in

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Fwd: Re: Engine Break-in
From: Bill L via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 07:34:23 -0800
Hello Michael,

     Sorry, There isn't agreement, there are differing "schools", much
     like Kung Fu, each claiming to be more "powerful" or "enduring".

     There's the "drive it like you stole it" school at one end, and
     There's the "easy does it" school at the other. ...

     Most agree that if you don't take it to redliine EVER during the
     break in period, a ridge can build up near the top of the
     cylinger wall that will keep the engine from being able to go to
     redline after having been broken in.

     When to change out the break in oil is another point of
     contention, but even those who advocate longer use of the "first"
     oil will agree theres' no harm in changing it earlier.

     Choose your "expert", ___ Read them all and do what you think
     best having judged your driving style vs. the style of drving
     advocated by the particular expert that is closest to yours.

     I'm no engine builder so take MY advice with that knowledge.....

     I say...... ... drive off easy..constanly vary the engine speed
     during break in. That is don't settle in and drive at a steady
     speed. Go up and down through the gears. After it's warmed up,
     take it redline and let off, back down to 2000 rpm or so, then
     back up... drive like this for the first 1000 miles. Change the
     oil at 500 miles, 1500 miles and 3000 miles, then as regularly
     scheduled.

     No idea how to get the rings to seat if they haven't, but be sure
     not to use synthetic oil during the break in period, as it's too
     slick.

     YMMV. My 2¢.

--
Best regards,
 Bill L.                           mailto:pythias@pacifier.com

 '66 Sprite MKIII HAN8L49403   "the red thing"

      * "I don't have a boyfriend," said Mary guilelessly.

Best regards,
 Bill                            mailto:pythias@pacifier.com

spridgets@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive