Re: [Spridgets] Kill Switches

To: mdrowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Kill Switches
From: Rick Fisk via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 10:47:29 -0400
Cc: "Spridgets@autox.team.net" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-35F0E906-F91D-4A38-92C9-0DA8A6DAF986
        charset=us-ascii

Don't know the answer to your kill switch question as I've never used one.

The green-knob switch on the negative battery terminal isn't intended to be u=
sed as a kill switch.  But it works perfectly as a battery isolator.  When y=
ou open the switch it does leave the entire positive system of the car conne=
cted, but NOT hot.  With the negative side of the battery disconnected there=
 is no voltage anywhere.  Doesn't matter that all of the positive stuff is s=
till connected. =20

You might want to think about finding a new mechanic.  :-)

Rick

Sent from my keyboard

> On May 14, 2016, at 10:09 AM, mdrowe via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.n=
et> wrote:
>=20
> I have been doing a lot of reading on kill switches.  My mechanic/tutor (w=
ho is never, ever, ever, wrong) insists that they should be on the ground wi=
re, which is how they are done on race cars.  This may be OK if there is no a=
lternator, but will not kill a running engine with alternator.  It just runs=
 on, finding a ground for the alternator output somewhere else.  More import=
ant, disconnecting the battery ground on a running engine can cause a voltag=
e spike that apparently can fry the alternator.  A properly-wired kill switc=
h is on the positive terminal and has a 3 ohm/11 watt resistor to ground to p=
revent this.  Pegasus Racing has detailed instructions.  I may already have d=
amaged mine before I learned the proper way to wire it.  Time will tell.
> =20
> This brings up another question:  People put the green-knob battery switch=
 on the negative terminal.  This not only has the same run-on, fried alterna=
tor problem, but also leaves the entire positive system of the car hot.  Sin=
ce there are grounds all over the car body,  I think that means we can get a=
rching to the body pretty much anywhere.  If the positive terminal is discon=
nected, there is no power anywhere, as nothing will come out of the ground s=
ide, regardless.
> =20
> What say you all?
> =20
> BTW, after two years of struggling to start the new engine put together by=
 my mechanic/tutor (yes, the same one), it developed that the cam was instal=
led 18 degrees advanced.  It started right up when corrected to five degrees=
 advance, as specified.  Of course, after sitting for two years without runn=
ing, every gasket on the engine leaked.  It has been a long two years.
> =20
> Michael Rowe
> The Holy Sprite
> =20
> ------------------------
>=20
> spridgets@autox.team.net
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
@chartermi.net

--Apple-Mail-35F0E906-F91D-4A38-92C9-0DA8A6DAF986
        charset=utf-8

switch on the negative battery terminal isn't intended to be used as a kill
switch. &nbsp;But it works perfectly as a battery isolator. &nbsp;When you open
the switch it does leave the entire positive system of the car connected, but
NOT hot. &nbsp;With the negative side of the battery disconnected there is no
voltage anywhere. &nbsp;Doesn't matter that all of the positive stuff is still
Spridgets &lt;<a
href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
blockquote.cite { margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;
padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc }
blockquote.cite2 {margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;
padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc; margin-top: 3px;
padding-top: 0px; }
.plain pre, .plain tt { font-family: monospace; font-size: 100%; font-weight:
normal; font-style: normal;}
a img { border: 0px; }body {font-family: Tahoma;font-size: 12pt;}
.plain pre, .plain tt {font-family: Tahoma;font-size: 12pt;}</style>

mechanic/tutor (who is never, ever, ever,&nbsp;wrong) insists that they should
be on the ground wire, which is how they are done on race cars.&nbsp; This may
be OK if there is no alternator, but will not kill a running engine with
alternator.&nbsp; It just runs on, finding a ground for the alternator output
somewhere else.&nbsp; More important,&nbsp;disconnecting the battery ground on
a running engine can cause a voltage spike that apparently&nbsp;can&nbsp;fry
the alternator.&nbsp; A properly-wired kill switch is on the positive terminal
and&nbsp;has a 3 ohm/11 watt resistor to ground&nbsp;to prevent this.&nbsp;
Pegasus Racing has detailed instructions.&nbsp; I may already have damaged mine
before I learned the proper way to wire it.&nbsp; Time will tell.</div>
switch on the negative terminal.&nbsp; This not only has the same run-on, fried
alternator problem, but also leaves the entire positive system of the car
hot.&nbsp; Since there are grounds all over the car body,&nbsp; I think that
means we can get arching to the body pretty much anywhere.&nbsp; If the
positive terminal is disconnected, there is no power anywhere, as nothing will
come out of the ground side, regardless.</div>
together by my mechanic/tutor (yes, the same one), it developed that the cam
was installed 18 degrees advanced.&nbsp; It started right up when corrected to
five degrees advance, as specified.&nbsp; Of course, after sitting for two
years without running, every gasket on the engine leaked.&nbsp; It has been a
long two years.</div>

 <a
 <a
 <a
--Apple-Mail-35F0E906-F91D-4A38-92C9-0DA8A6DAF986--

--===============7343772900123804667==

spridgets@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7343772900123804667==--