Re: [Spridgets] RVI vs RVC tachometer

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] RVI vs RVC tachometer
From: David Ambrose via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 18:54:09 -0700
--===============7690680863757859697==
 boundary="------------5068040D599ACD321AA7F0CF"

--------------5068040D599ACD321AA7F0CF

You can get a cheap automotive multimeter with a tachometer function.
That will give you a true reading. IIRC, the stock tachs measure
current, and the current is different with electronic ignition.

On 7/28/2016 6:51 AM, mdrowe via Spridgets wrote:
> The 123 distributor site specifically says that Smiths RVI
> tachometers will not work with electronic ignitions.  Other sites say
> they may or may not, for unspecified reasons.  My tachometer works
> (and may be RVC ???), but it seems to read very high.
> It is true that the engine revs up really fast, and I now have a
> 5-speed with different gear ratios than I am used to, so it could be
> my imagination.  Baring purchase of an RVC tach, how can I determine
> whether or not my old one is reading properly?
> Michael Rowe
> The Holy Sprite
>

> ------------------------
>
> spridgets@autox.team.net
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/stargazer1@cox.net

--------------5068040D599ACD321AA7F0CF

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      function. That will give you a true reading. IIRC, the stock tachs
      measure current, and the current is different with electronic
      ignition. <br>
      Spridgets wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:em799999fa-5ec4-4eab-8c17-63521a4e49f2@windows-5d5q88t"
      type="cite">
blockquote.cite { margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;
padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc }
blockquote.cite2 {margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;
padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc; margin-top: 3px;
padding-top: 0px; }
.plain pre, .plain tt { font-family: monospace; font-size: 100%; font-weight:
normal; font-style: normal;}
a img { border: 0px; }body {font-family: Tahoma;font-size: 12pt;}
.plain pre, .plain tt {font-family: Tahoma;font-size: 12pt;}</style>
        tachometers will not work with electronic ignitions.  Other
        sites say they may or may not, for unspecified reasons.  My
        tachometer works (and may be RVC ???), but it seems to read very
        high.  </div>
        have a 5-speed with different gear ratios than I am used to, so
        it could be my imagination.  Baring purchase of an RVC tach, how
        can I determine whether or not my old one is reading properly?</div>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>

--===============7690680863757859697==--