Re: [Spridgets] rocker knock

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] rocker knock
From: Bob Spruck via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 11:34:43 -0400
--===============4484254290132894309==
 boundary="------------D2B6D5AF8CAE4DADF27C8C04"

--------------D2B6D5AF8CAE4DADF27C8C04

I have an alloy valve cover on my 1275 vintage race engine that has had
lots of grinding on the inside in the vicinity of every rocker arm. I
also have three other "spare" alloy valve covers, two of which have been
relieved on the inside and one that has not. The one that has not is
noticeably narrower than the others and has not been ground. So, there
are apparently some narrower valve covers out there that would need
grinding to clear even a stock engine. May be from a Mini or ??? Of
course, I have no idea of the origin of any of my valve covers.

I would go with internal cover grinding rather than taking the chance
that stacking valve cover gaskets would heighten the valve cover or nuts
so they interfere with the bonnet unless you can devise a way to measure
the clearance.

Bob

On 9/28/2016 7:43 PM, mdrowe via Spridgets wrote:
> I had a very loud knock that sounded absolutely fatal, and I was
> really worried that I was going to have to open this engine up
> a second time.  It turned out to be an adjustment screw on the
> high-lift rockers hitting the alloy valve cover.  A simple solution is
> to put on a second gasket to raise the height of the cover.  Anyone
> encountered this before?
> Michael Rowe
> The Holy Sprite
>

> ------------------------
>
> spridgets@autox.team.net
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/raspruck@gmail.com

--------------D2B6D5AF8CAE4DADF27C8C04

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
          my 1275 vintage race engine that has had lots of grinding on
          the inside in the vicinity of every rocker arm. I also have
          three other "spare" alloy valve covers, two of which have been
          relieved on the inside and one that has not. The one that has
          not is noticeably narrower than the others and has not been
          ground. So, there are apparently some narrower valve covers
          out there that would need grinding to clear even a stock
          engine. May be from a Mini or ??? Of course, I have no idea of
          the origin of any of my valve covers. <br>
          grinding rather than taking the chance that stacking valve
          cover gaskets would heighten the valve cover or nuts so they
          interfere with the bonnet unless you can devise a way to
      Spridgets wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:embd0bda5b-5512-48ea-bfbb-7c01333cfddd@windows-5d5q88t"
      type="cite">
        PADDING-LEFT: 10px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid;
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px
}
BLOCKQUOTE.cite2 {
        MARGIN-TOP: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; MARGIN-LEFT:
5px; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px
}
.plain PRE {
        FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-FAMILY: monospace; FONT-WEIGHT: normal;
FONT-STYLE: normal
}
.plain TT {
        FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-FAMILY: monospace; FONT-WEIGHT: normal;
FONT-STYLE: normal
}
A IMG {
        BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px
}
.plain PRE {
        FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma
}
.plain TT {
        FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma
}
BODY {
        FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma
}
          I was really worried that I was going to have to open this
          engine up a second time.  It turned out to be an adjustment
          screw on the high-lift rockers hitting the alloy valve
          cover.  A simple solution is to put on a second gasket to
          raise the height of the cover.  Anyone encountered this
          before?  </div>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>

--===============4484254290132894309==--