[Spridgets] Tyres - Whether tis better to replace or no

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Tyres - Whether tis better to replace or no
From: Martyn Ridley via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 14:24:48 -0500
I am running the Sprite on Dunlop SP20  165/70 13s.  They have just over
20,000 miles, and still have 4mm of tread.  Never had a flat, no cracks
in the sidewall, still look almost new. Good quality New Zealand
rubber.  Trouble is, they were made 397 (39th week 1997).

I have read a lot about and experienced (cheap Kumhos) internal rot and
external hardening (8+ year old Michelins) but see no evidence of either
on the Dunlops. They are not run in winter nor, if I am lucky, in
adverse conditions.  I have never experienced bump-steer in the dry with
them, and wet braking was never a 'joy' at the best of times.

If I replace them I will want to go to 155/80 13s, which are becoming
rare in my part of the world. (well not true, but I'll be dammed if I'm
going to spend a fortune to put Michelins on)

My question to the list is therefore two-fold, one should I replace the
tyres, and second, given that I will not pay 200/tyre what are my
non-Chinese options?

Cheers,

Martyn

PS: I thought there was a similar thread back about last spring, but I
can't find it.  If someone has it and can summarize I would appreciate it.

spridgets@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive