Re: [Spridgets] Ruminations on OSHITs and Frank

To: Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Ruminations on OSHITs and Frank
From: George Marinos via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 23:34:21 -0500
Cc: Spridgets net <spridgets@autox.team.net>, Mark Haynes <220caribou@gmail.com>

--Apple-Mail-099AAC73-D605-4801-81BC-4D36B047F535
        charset=utf-8

Thoughtfully stated. =20
George

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 11, 2021, at 10:53 PM, Linda Grunthaner via Spridgets <spridgets@au=
tox.team.net> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> List,
> I haven't been on the list for several months now and I apologize but it s=
ure warms my heart to see a post about our dear friend Frank Clarici. Frank r=
evived my confidence when my parents passed and I lost all my sense of self c=
onfidence in all the things I loved. Frank reassured my confidence in  weldi=
ng, tools and machines of all sorts. He never doubted that I could complete a=
 repair and enjoy it like I did in the past. I will always be grateful for Fra=
nk's encouragement and fortitude to move forward with the love of the LBC.=20=

> I continue with "Pay it forward" as he is the essence of the term, and as I=
 grow older I continue to do much more of it.
>=20
> Lift your glasses up gentleman and have a toast, to our dear friend Frank C=
larici, may we all work toward his kindness toward others and keep our LBC's=
 running.=20
> Linda
> 62 Deep Pink California Sprite Pinky
>=20
>> On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 8:49 AM Larry Macy via Spridgets <spridgets@autox=
.team.net> wrote:
>> Mark,
>>=20
>> Thanks you for this email. Frank was AWESOME. I could leave this email at=
 that and everyone who ever met Frank would understand. I met Frrank virtual=
 in Oct of 1997. I was on the MG Autox list and there was announcement of a n=
ew list for =E2=80=9CSPRIDGETS=E2=80=9D I think I was number 4 in subscribin=
g, It was Franks insistence that made Mark (mjb) create this list.=20
>>=20
>> A while later I was in need of a pumpkin. Frank said he had one so I drov=
e from Lansdale PA to Toms River. Frank was gracious and would not take anyt=
hing for it. He just handed it to me. Instant respect and friendship. A few y=
ears  later, and I am not sure of the date a group of us, Frank, Allen Hefne=
r, Chuck Crist and Kevin Valentine (I hope I didn't forget anyone) went to L=
atrobe, PA (home of Rolling Rock beer) to work on Amy=E2=80=99s Sprite. We s=
pent the weekend (and boy  was her tub a mess after we had all showered) fix=
ing up her car. I  had the honor of first drive. A while later we repeated t=
he group going to help fix up another car (it might have been Chris King=E2=80=
=99s, I  don=E2=80=99t recall). Well since we all enjoyed doing this we figu=
red we might need a name. There were a few bandied about. One I remember was=
 CRAPOS, I don=E2=80=99t recall what that stood for, but I suggested Organiz=
ation of Spridget Hanymen In Transit and OSHIT was born. (I always wonder ho=
w many folks actually realize what OSHIT stands for). After that we did a lo=
t more transiting as handymen and worked on a lot of cars. We did a lot at Fra=
nk=E2=80=99s and Kevin=E2=80=99s. My Midget was reborn at Kevin=E2=80=99s.=20=

>>=20
>> When my first wife left me for my best friend, it was Frank and Ron that r=
eached out and took me to see Bruce Springsteen. I drove to Toms River and Fra=
nk and I drove to the Meadowlands, in his Sprite, to see the show. At that t=
ime I only had the Midget, with no top,  as my car and I drove home at 1 AM i=
n a drizzle.=20
>>=20
>> My Midget 1500 had gotten a few upgrades over the years. I had a Weber,  5=
 speed transmission, hi compression pistons and a mild street cam. One day, i=
n Toms River, Franks asked me to take him for a ride. So we did his =E2=80=9C=
loop=E2=80=9D. He said he hadn=E2=80=99t realized how fast a 1500 could be. B=
oy did I smile.=20
>>=20
>> Eventually, my Midget had gotten to the point of body rot so bad it was n=
ot worth fixing. So I bought a shell in good shape and had it trailered to T=
oms River. The OSHIT crew got together and fixed that shell up like new. It w=
as in Frank=E2=80=99s garage, in primer when word came that Frank had sudden=
ly passed. What the shock that was.=20
>>=20
>> Well, the  thing that Frank was inspirational for, the OSHIT idea, has th=
ankfully remained alive. I no longer have a Midget, I sold in 2019 to a rela=
tive of Kevin=E2=80=99s so  I could live, full time, in an RV.=20
>>=20
>> Frank  was my  friend, he is missed.
>>=20
>> Larry
>>=20
>> Here are linkks to my tribute to Frank at the Midget 50th in Elkhart Lake=
. First kink is a video, second is my powerpoint with pics and Frankisms.
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/svm5fepeowwkq3k/Larry%20Macy%20Tribute%20-%20Fra=
nk%20Clarici.mpg?dl=3D0
>>=20
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/kanf3n84aa1q0i4/Frank_Memorial.pptx?dl=3D0
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>> On Oct 22, 2021, at 8:44 PM, Mark Haynes via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.=
team.net> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> This'll be a little long, so bear with me or just delete as you see fit.=

>>> I was having a beer with a friend who got me into AutoX last night and h=
e mentioned that he'd told his wife about how I travelled to Dodge City to h=
elp out Jim Johnson with his Sprite. he inferred that I did it because it wa=
s pay back, and I told him no, that I did it 'um, I'm not sure why'.
>>> Today I was stacking wood for the winter, which is a kind of meditative p=
rocess, and realized that the reason why I am willing to travel long distanc=
es to help  people that I've never met is Frank Clarici, and his motto "Pay i=
t Forward".
>>> This realization that Frank is still affecting my life and correcting my=
 attitude was very powerful. That a man who I never met could have such a lo=
ng lasting affect on me and my approach to others simply astonishes me.=20
>>> The fact that OSHITs are still occurring is a testament to what he belie=
ved, that there is always someone out there willing to devote their time and=
 skills to help others who are unable to finish a labor of love. I have foun=
d that I enjoy the sharing of the knowledge and skills we all have acquired,=
 both ways, is one of the best parts of an OSHIT, not to mention the proddin=
g and poking and general lack of any respect for one's person =F0=9F=98=9C.
>>> The ability of everyone to come together from great distances and work t=
oward a common goal for another is such a gift to all who are involved, not t=
he least of whom is the car owner. My local British car buddies are great, b=
ut having the opportunity to come together with folks from so distant is a g=
ift that I cannot express.
>>> If you're still reading this, I'm sure that you too, knew Frank. If you'=
ve never taken part in an OSHIT, I would encourage you to do so, you'll meet=
 like-minded folks, enjoy some laughs, make some memories, make some friends=
, drink some beers and most of all, create an enduring memorial to The Dean o=
f Spridgets, Frank Clarici.
>>> As always, PAY IT FORWARD!
>>> Mark Haynes
>>> It only goes one way- Pay It Forward
>>> ------------------------
>>>=20
>>> spridgets@autox.team.net
>>>=20
>>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>>> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>>>=20
>>> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/=
archive
>>>=20
>>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/lmac=
y@mac.com
>>=20
>> --=20
>>=20
>> Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
>> lmacy@mac.com
>>=20
>>=20
>> Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and=
 the last fish has been caught, will we realize that we can not eat money
@verizon.net

--Apple-Mail-099AAC73-D605-4801-81BC-4D36B047F535
        charset=utf-8

ype=3D"cite">On Dec 11, 2021, at 10:53 PM, Linda Grunthaner via Spridgets &l=
ven't been on the list for several months now and I apologize&nbsp;but it su=
re&nbsp;warms&nbsp;my heart to see a post about our dear friend Frank Claric=
i. Frank revived my confidence when my parents passed and I lost all my sens=
e&nbsp;of self confidence in all the things I loved. Frank reassured&nbsp;my=
 confidence&nbsp;in &nbsp;welding, tools and machines of all sorts. He never=
 doubted that I could complete a repair and enjoy it like I did in the past.=
 I will always be grateful&nbsp;for Frank's encouragement and fortitude&nbsp=
;to move forward with the love of the LBC.&nbsp;<div>I continue with "Pay it=
 forward" as he is the essence&nbsp;of the term, and as I grow older I conti=
tleman&nbsp;and have a toast, to our dear friend Frank Clarici, may we all w=
ork toward his kindness toward others and keep our LBC's running.&nbsp;</div=
iv class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Oct 2=
4, 2021 at 8:49 AM Larry Macy via Spridgets &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:spridgets@=
 class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1=
px;border-left-style:solid;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1=
ex"><div style=3D"word-wrap:break-word;line-break:after-white-space">Mark,<d=
e this email at that and everyone who ever met Frank would understand. I met=
 Frrank virtual in Oct of 1997. I was on the MG Autox list and there was ann=
ouncement of a new list for =E2=80=9CSPRIDGETS=E2=80=9D I think I was number=
 4 in subscribing, It was Franks insistence that made Mark (mjb) create this=
in. Frank said he had one so I drove from Lansdale PA to Toms River. Frank w=
as gracious and would not take anything for it. He just handed it to me. Ins=
tant respect and friendship. A few years &nbsp;later, and I am not sure of t=
he date a group of us, Frank, Allen Hefner, Chuck Crist and Kevin Valentine (=
I hope I didn't forget anyone) went to Latrobe, PA (home of Rolling Rock bee=
r) to work on Amy=E2=80=99s Sprite. We spent the weekend (and boy &nbsp;was h=
er tub a mess after we had all showered) fixing up her car. I &nbsp;had the h=
onor of first drive. A while later we repeated the group going to help fix u=
p another car (it might have been Chris King=E2=80=99s, I &nbsp;don=E2=80=99=
t recall). Well since we all enjoyed doing this we figured we might need a n=
ame. There were a few bandied about. One I remember was CRAPOS, I don=E2=80=99=
t recall what that stood for, but I suggested Organization of Spridget Hanym=
en In Transit and OSHIT was born. (I always wonder how many folks actually r=
ealize what OSHIT stands for). After that we did a lot more transiting as ha=
ndymen and worked on a lot of cars. We did a lot at Frank=E2=80=99s and Kevi=
div><div>When my first wife left me for my best friend, it was Frank and Ron=
 that reached out and took me to see Bruce Springsteen. I drove to Toms Rive=
r and Frank and I drove to the Meadowlands, in his Sprite, to see the show. A=
t that time I only had the Midget, with no top, &nbsp;as my car and I drove h=
otten a few upgrades over the years. I had a Weber, &nbsp;5 speed transmissi=
on, hi compression pistons and a mild street cam. One day, in Toms River, Fra=
nks asked me to take him for a ride. So we did his =E2=80=9Cloop=E2=80=9D. H=
e said he hadn=E2=80=99t realized how fast a 1500 could be. Boy did I smile.=
t of body rot so bad it was not worth fixing. So I bought a shell in good sh=
ape and had it trailered to Toms River. The OSHIT crew got together and fixe=
d that shell up like new. It was in Frank=E2=80=99s garage, in primer when w=
ord came that Frank had suddenly passed. What the shock that was.&nbsp;<br><=
he OSHIT idea, has thankfully remained alive. I no longer have a Midget, I s=
old in 2019 to a relative of Kevin=E2=80=99s so &nbsp;I could live, full tim=
re linkks to my tribute to Frank at the Midget 50th in Elkhart Lake. First k=
ink is a video, second is my powerpoint with pics and Frankisms.</div><div><=
a href=3D"https://www.dropbox.com/s/svm5fepeowwkq3k/Larry%20Macy%20Tribute%2=
0-%20Frank%20Clarici.mpg?dl=3D0" target=3D"_blank">https://www.dropbox.com/s=
/svm5fepeowwkq3k/Larry%20Macy%20Tribute%20-%20Frank%20Clarici.mpg?dl=3D0</a>=
i4/Frank_Memorial.pptx?dl=3D0" target=3D"_blank">https://www.dropbox.com/s/k=
rk Haynes via Spridgets &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net"; targ=
=3D"ltr"><div>This'll be a little long, so bear with me or just delete as yo=
u see fit.</div><div>I was having a beer with a friend who got me into AutoX=
 last night and he mentioned that he'd told his wife about how I travelled t=
o Dodge City to help out Jim Johnson with his Sprite. he inferred that I did=
 it because it was pay back, and I told him no, that I did it 'um, I'm not s=
ure why'.</div><div>Today I was stacking wood for the winter, which is a kin=
d of meditative process, and realized that the reason why I am willing to tr=
avel long distances to help&nbsp; people that I've never met is Frank Claric=
i, and his motto "Pay it Forward".</div><div>This realization that Frank is s=
till affecting my life and correcting my attitude was very powerful. That a m=
an who I never met could have such a long lasting affect on me and my approa=
till occurring is a testament to what he believed, that there is always some=
one out there willing to devote their time and skills to help others who are=
 unable to finish a labor of love. I have found that I enjoy the sharing of t=
he knowledge and skills we all have acquired, both ways, is one of the best p=
arts of an OSHIT, not to mention the prodding and poking and general lack of=
 any respect for one's person =F0=9F=98=9C.</div><div>The ability of everyon=
e to come together from great distances and work toward a common goal for an=
other is such a gift to all who are involved, not the least of whom is the c=
ar owner. My local British car buddies are great, but having the opportunity=
 to come together with folks from so distant is a gift that I cannot express=
.</div><div>If you're still reading this, I'm sure that you too, knew Frank.=
 If you've never taken part in an OSHIT, I would encourage you to do so, you=
'll meet like-minded folks, enjoy some laughs, make some memories, make some=
 friends, drink some beers and most of all, create an enduring memorial to T=
he Dean of Spridgets, Frank Clarici.</div><div>As always, PAY IT FORWARD!<br=
------------------------<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net"; t=
://www.team.net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.ht=
//www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pi=
permail/spridgets</a> &nbsp;<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; target=
ref=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/lmacy@mac.com"; target=
=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/lmacy@mac.com</a=
:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0=
px;word-wrap:break-word;line-break:after-white-space"><div style=3D"color:rg=
b(0,0,0);letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transfo=
rm:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;word-wrap:break-word;line-break:=
br></div><div>Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been p=
oisoned and the last fish has been caught, will we realize that we can not e=
x.team.net</a><br>
t=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets"; rel=3D"noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets</a>&nbsp; <a h=
ref=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
ts/grunthaner@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/options/spridgets/grunthaner@gmail.com</a><br>
lass=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><span style=3D"font-size:small">"P=
v>
e: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/gmari2@verizon.net</span>=

--Apple-Mail-099AAC73-D605-4801-81BC-4D36B047F535--

--===============2000195835613963024==

spridgets@autox.team.net

--===============2000195835613963024==--