Re: [Spridgets] Pull start..

To: "crusaderchuck55@aol.com" <crusaderchuck55@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Pull start..
From: Michael MacLean via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 11:37:50 -0800
Cc: Spridgets Net <spridgets@autox.team.net>

--0000000000003492ca05d6e5ec7e

Chuck,
     I can't tell you exactly.  The original 62 year old cable was cut in
half when it contacted the negative battery brown wire.  The cable and
sheath were welded together in each half where it was cut.  I might be able
to find the pieces, but I threw them away in my shop waste basket in
disgust.  I would be interested to find out the measurement from the back
of the black knob to the tip of the braided cable of an original if someone
has one.  It would be easy to just loosen the set screw and pull it out for
measurement.  The reproduction measures 19 1/2 inches from the black knob
where it sits flush against the dash fitting to the tip of the cable.  It
needs another 1/4 inch to sit in the connector on the starter solenoid and
flush against the dash with no play.  That also means the connector is
fully engaged with the shaft on the starter solenoid without being under
spring tension.  I have made the repro work, but I had to pull the shaft of
the solenoid out about a 1/4 inch to get good engagement of both the wire
and the solenoid shaft which means it sits under spring tension at rest.
Something that was not necessary with the original 62 year old cable. So,
does anyone have an original cable in or out of the car they would be
willing to measure?  Of course my offer to buy an original still stands.
Mike M

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 10:31 AM crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets <
spridgets@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Question,
> I might have missed this so I shall ask..
> When physically laying old ( in spite of a slight bit of trying?) Cable
> next to the new one , how much difference is there in the shielding length
> and actual cable length?
> Reason I ask is this is bringing back something I kinda/sorta remember
> from my Bugeye when it was reassembled over 25 years ago??
> Chuck
> ------------------------
>
> spridgets@autox.team.net
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/springer.mike51@gmail.com

--0000000000003492ca05d6e5ec7e

 tell you exactly.=C2=A0 The original 62 year old cable was cut in half whe=
n it contacted the negative battery brown wire.=C2=A0 The cable and sheath =
were welded together in each half where it was cut.=C2=A0 I might be able t=
o find the pieces, but I threw them away in my shop waste basket in disgust=
.=C2=A0 I would be interested to find out the measurement from the back of =
the black knob to the tip of the braided cable of an original if someone ha=
s one.=C2=A0 It would be easy to just loosen the set screw and pull it out =
for measurement.=C2=A0 The reproduction measures 19 1/2 inches from the bla=
ck knob where it sits flush against the dash fitting to the tip of the cabl=
e.=C2=A0 It needs another 1/4 inch to sit in the connector on the starter s=
olenoid and flush against the dash with no play.=C2=A0 That also means the =
connector is fully engaged with the shaft on the starter solenoid without b=
eing under spring tension.=C2=A0 I have made the repro work, but I had to p=
ull the shaft of the solenoid out about a 1/4 inch to get good engagement o=
f both the wire and the solenoid shaft which means it sits under spring ten=
sion at rest.=C2=A0 Something that was not necessary with the original 62 y=
ear old cable. So, does anyone have an original cable in or out of the car =
they would be willing to measure?=C2=A0 Of course my offer to buy an origin=
ote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 10:31 AM=
 crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.tea=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rg=
b(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div><div style=3D"font-family:Helvetica N=
ight have missed this so I shall ask..</div><div>When physically laying old=
 ( in spite of a slight bit of trying?) Cable next to the new one , how muc=
h difference is there in the shielding length and actual cable length?</div=
r from my Bugeye when it was reassembled over 25 years ago??</div><div>Chuc=
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets</a>=C2=A0 <a=
 href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank=